Dragon fruit is an exotic fruit that not many people have tried. Perhaps you have seen one in the grocery store and wondered, “how do I eat that?” It is a strange looking fruit, but it is delicious.
How to Select the Best Dragon Fruit
The skin of a dragon fruit is thick and fibrous which can be daunting, but eating this fruit is pretty simple.
The main thing is to select a fruit that is perfectly ripe—the bright red ones are ripe, the green ones are unripe. A few spots are fine, but avoid those with brown spots. It is best for it to be soft but not mushy. Test it by gently pressing the skin with your finger; it should push in a little, but not feel too soft.
You can get a very firm dragon fruit, but it will be a few days before it ripens for you to eat it.
You can also find dragon fruit in the frozen section of some grocery stores, pre-peeled and cut into cubes. This is a convenient option for a tasty snack that packs a nutrient-dense punch.
How to Get Your Dragon Fruit Ready to Eat
My favorite thing about dragon fruit is how you can simply eat the fruit by itself.
- First cut through a dragon fruit. Make sure you have a sharp knife; now cut it in half lengthwise.
- Now scoop the fruit out with a spoon as you see in the photo above.
- Or you can slice it and remove it from the skin as in the photo below.
- Then you can cut it into cubes.
- These pieces of dragon fruit can be enjoyed as a snack or added to smoothies, salads and yogurt. Here are a few recipes for you to try.
Let’s start with the simplest recipe ‘Dragon Fruit Juice’.
Simple Dragon Fruit Juice
This truly is the simplest dragon fruit recipe. Only one ingredient!
- All you do is take the fruit out of the skin.
- Cut it up and put it in the blender.
- Then blend it on high liquefy.
- That is it, now pour it into a glass and enjoy your juice.
I was surprised how tasty it was and didn’t need any sweetening. Some might like to add a few drops of stevia.
Dragon Fruit Raspberry Pudding
1. Put raspberries, dragon fruit, chia seeds and flaxseed meal into the blender.
2. Add milk and blend on high until smooth.
3. Pause to scrape the sides of the container with a spatula as needed.
4. Sweeten the coconut yogurt with stevia.
5. Put pudding into a bowl and top with yogurts and a few raspberries.
Tropical Fruit Bowl with Dragon Fruit
Now here is another very simple dragon fruit recipe. A sweet fruit salad in a bowl.
- Take the peel off the dragon fruit, mango, pineapple and kiwi.
- Now chop up the fruit and mix up and serve this delicious tropical bowl of fruit.
Exotic Dragon Fruit Smoothie
This dragon fruit smoothie is delicious and refreshing for spring. It is vegan, gluten-free and antioxidant-rich with healthy ingredients. It is a tasty treat which is great for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
This recipe makes 4 glasses of smoothie. Here is the recipe: Exotic Dragon Fruit Smoothie
Also, on my website, there are lots of other Vegan Recipes.
Related at Care2
Kraken Kratom is proud to offer the best kratom powder, leaf, extracts and capsules available online. Our rigorous quality control checks esnure your getting the highest quality kratom.